RE: Re: SATA, eSATA, Port Multiplying and RAID

OK - You can't port multiply on just "any" SATA or eSATA
port - you need a
controller than is capable of port multiplying and then at the other end
you
need a corresponding port "de-multiplier".

Take a look at:

http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_1701_1702&products_id=
7579

or

http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24_1701_1702&products_id=
7581

(there are other, cheaper cards on there too that support port multiplier
enabled connections)

and then something like:

http://www.span.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=15709

on the other end.

Phil

<balraj_jassal@...>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have various standalone USB and Firewire Hard drives lying
about
> > but now Node Zero has become abit of a mess, so I'm looking at a
> > rack mount chassis for my primary Media Server. This will be a
> > standalone rackmount PC which I'm quite comfortable with
building.

> > However, I want to build it for growth and need to consider a
> > seperate multi Drive rack to sit alongside it sometime in the
> > future. I've been inspired by this Silverstone DS351 kit
> > (http://tinyurl.com/4dt5uj with a good
Video  review [7 mins] here
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ie6iRXCKGA).
> >
> > The problem with this device however is that it requires the
> > controlling PC motherboard to have a Sil3132 Chip set, which my
> > motherboard doesn't support.
> > Sure, I can upgrade my motherboard in the future, but it begs the
> > questions - how is SATA meant to be muliplied ?
> >
> > I read many moons ago that as great as SATA is for throughput, it
> > does not lend itself well to port multiplying and normally should
> be
> > use in a 1 physicial interface : 1 HDD arrangement (correct me if
> > I'm wrong).  Recently, I've been reading about something called
> SATA
> > Backpanes which confused me further and it just made me think how
> > could build my own HDD Chassis.
> >
> > So my questions :
> >  - How is SATA meant to be used ? Can a single motherboard
> > connection (whether SATA or eSATA) control multiple Hard drives ?
> >
> >  - Although eSATA is external, how is it different from SATA ?
Can