PVR replacement for Xbox

  • Subject: PVR replacement for Xbox
  • From: "Mark Golledge" <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 11:55:50 +0100

Hi everyone,

The time has come for me to replace my beloved Xbox (running XBMC) with
something a bit more up-to-date giving me Blu-Ray and HD-DVD capabilities
a=
well as PVR functionality (probably use a WinTV PVR-500).

I've therefore started to have a look and have come up with the following.
Costs are based on the cheapest I could find on the web as I'm not looking
to shed out a fortune but will provide me options to upgrade over time.

Case: Silverstone LC20 Black: =A374.35
Motherboard: Gigabyte P35-DS3P: =A362.41 (supports DDR2 but not DDR3 but
options to move to Quad-Core)
CPU: Core 2 Duo E7200 S775 2.53Ghz: =A361.42
Memory: 2x1GB DDR2 PC2-4200: =A325.84 (maximum Motherboard can cope with is
8GB)
Graphics Card: Gigabyte GeForce 8500 GT GV-NX85T2565 (supports HD-DVD)
Hard Drive: Samsung Spinpoint T166 500GB HD501LJ: =A337.37
Optical Drive: Logitech LGGC-H20L Blu-Ray and HD-DVD - =A362.12

I'm still in need of advice on two things. It is likely that I'm also going
to run my webserver and home automation (HomeSeer) on this PC so would like
it to be on 24/7. I'm therefore looking for a quiet PSU and CPU cooler. Any
ideas?

CPU Cooler (with fan):
PSU:

I've heard that XBMC can't run Blu-Ray / HD-DVD from within Linux.
Presumably therefore I'd need to either setup a dual boot (XBMC in Linux
an=
Blu-Ray / HD-DVD from Windows) or move to Windows and choose something
othe=
than XBMC? Any recommendations?

Many thanks,

Mark