Was - Wanted - Squeezebox V2 / V3 - Now Squeezebox & HA

  • Subject: Was - Wanted - Squeezebox V2 / V3 - Now Squeezebox & HA
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 19:18:23 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Gale" <groups2@...>
wrote:

> So I've never looked at the squeezebox or duet before - looking now,
it seems a capable product but how good is it for searching very large
music collections? I'm wondering if it would be a good addition to my
whole house audio system or not?

> Paul.

Paul

I use a Squeezebox for just this sort of thing.  I'm not quite sure
what you call 'very large'.  I have about 6000 tracks and it has no
issue searching that lot.  I seem to recall that squeezebox (well the
server end) can deal with much larger collections (20,000 rings a bell
for some reason) but you may want to have a look in the slimdevices
web site / forum.

The Squeezebox is used in my lounge for several reasons:
- I didn't install ceiling speakers in there (as for the rest of the
whole house system) because I have a hi-fi / 5.1 system in there for
the tv/dvd etc.  Conseqently, the squeezebox is now plummed directly
into that setup.  For me it works because while I use a Mac now for
streaming DVDs and photos to the tv, I really did not want to have the
tv on to listen to music.  The squeezebox works perfectly and is very
good quality.

[ I'd note that I got rid of the cdplayer a while back as a result, as
on comparative blind testing I (and others) couldn't tell the
difference between the squeezebox and a decent (if 6 years old) Arcam
cd unit. (Plus I couldn't be bothered to find the cds anymore).]

- The squeezebox is xAP enabled so while in other parts of the house
phone calls result in the caller being announced, in the lounge they
come up on the squeezebox display (with other 'useful messages').
This suits me better as I didn't want audio announcements interrupting
TV / Films or even, sometimes, conversation!

- It looks pretty neat and I have it mounted just under the TV - very
discrete and it acts as a clock the rest of the time!

So all in all it fits into a HA system very well I think.

Richard