Re: Plug&Play GSM Access Control

That's interesting... no call costs?

I wonder if it just doesn't answer the call, and uses caller ID to
'authenticate' the user.

If so, isn't that a bit dodgy, as a phone that's 'borrowed' for 10 secs
fro=
a coat in a pub, could be used to open a locked office 50 miles away...

Either that or a quick phone call from a landline with spoofed caller ID
data...

Hmmm....

On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 3:41 AM, Rob Iles <rob.iles@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   Interesting - it appears to be designed as a physical access control
> device
> - but could it be re-purposed as a network access control system? I
guess
> it's an all-or-nothing type solution - either you're fully authorised,
or
> not authorised - but for the price, it could be a cheap "extra
> authentication factor" (until the retina scans and fingerprint
readers wo=
rk
> properly) ;) ....username, password, PIN, Fob + GSM_Code required for
log=
in
> ? :s
>
> the free-call from mobile is particularly interesting if one has
"high
> volume" requirements......I've not read all the details, but if
there
> really
> are no call costs then this becomes a gsm based input that can be
toggled
> as
> often as you like at no cost..........*me ponders
> possibilities*.....(Harmony + Xap + Xpl interfaces should be really
simpl=
e,
> as it's basically a contact closure)
>
> </waffling>
>
> R.
>
> 2008/7/1 Mark McCall <lists@xxxxxxx<lists%40automatedhome.co.=
uk>
> >:
>

> > Here's a great little device that promises a 10 minute plug &
play DIY
> > installation to your existing access control system. You can
authorise =
up
> > to 2,000 users and restrict them by day, date and time. The
system also
> > holds a log of access details and you can use your own SIM card
or buy =
> > low
> > cost plan with the unit. Use it to replace your existing keyfobs
or eve=