Latest message you have seen: RE: Best touchscreen interface EVER?

Re: Electricity meter monitoring

> > > Has anyone successfully built something that (say)
counts the
> > > revolutions of the wheel using the black mark on the edge
and grabbed
> > > the data on a PC?

I built exactly that a few years back using an "infrared
reflectometer" (I think it was called) which was an IR
source and an IR receiver in a plastic housing; like a blunt
arrowhead. Glued the blunt bit to the casing just
above the wheel, plenty sensitive enough to detect the black mark passing.

The meterman grumbled a bit, but since I hadn't technically tampered
with the meter, he had to concede.

Can't remember where I got the sensor, but it was probably Farnell, RS etc.

I note with interest that the meterman reads my new leccy meter with a
PDA, using infrared data transfer,
but he wouldn't let me play with it! Ah well, roll on Zigbee ;)

cheers

ant