Re: Copying between network drives

  • Subject: Re: Copying between network drives
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 21:39:33 -0000

RB_Ziggy,

I have come to the conclusion it is the rsync implementation on the
QNAP that is slow. Basically this is normally a fast Linux utility
but something is not right. Using the Linux "cp" command, same as
copy / xcopy in Windows, achieves around 13MB/s from SATA to eSATA.

Check out the QNAP forums for more advice http://forum.qnap.com

Paul
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@...> wrote:

> Paul
>
> I have the slightly older QNAP TS-201.  It has the same features as
> you note below including a SATA port.  It's easy to copy FROM a USB
> drive as you describe but I couldn't for the life of me how to
copy TO.

> I confess, I didn't get around to Telneting and using Linux
commands
> (not knowing Linux, it would have taken a bit more effort).  I must
> check this out some time.
>
> I was actually getting 3-4MB/s copying across the network back and
> forth.  I'd been hoping for quite a bit more (say 20-30 MB/s)
across a
>  direct 400Mbit/s USB2 link.   So I'm a bit surprised you didn't
> achieve more with the methods you describe - especially the SATA
link.

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Paul Bendall" <paul@> wrote:
> >
> > I have a QNAP TS-109Pro single drive NAS device. It has a USB
port
> > and eSATA port. The web interface allows a local copy from USB
> > main disk, a button on the front of the device does the same
thing.

> > I can also SSH and Telnet directly to the device and issue Linux
> > commands such as "cp" and "rsync" to copy
data between drives
again