Re: Copying between network drives

  • Subject: Re: Copying between network drives
  • From: "domdevitto" <dom@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2008 09:57:29 -0000

> > I'm trying to copy about 400Gb from a NAS drive to a 1Tb
USB2 disk
> > that is attached to the NAS unit itself (a UMAX TS201).

> > Does anyone know how to speed thinks up by cutting out the
> middleman (the PC) and getting a direct disk to disk copy?

Is the dstination USB drive readable (eg. not RAID) on other
Windows/Linux PCs?

In short why not connect the USB to your PC, and read from the NAS,
write locally to the disk.

If the filesystem isn't NTFS, you may need to use a linux box/livecd,
but it should still be 3-5x (maybe even 10x) quicker.
(because the wireless 'sends' from the NAS to the PC are contending
with the 'sends' from the PC back to the NAS - and this is all
arbitrated by your access point).  Wireless has *very* different
performance characteristics to wired 'personal' Ethernet....

Dom