Copying between network drives

  • Subject: Copying between network drives
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:47:55 -0000

Any gurus that can help with this one please?

I'm trying to copy about 400Gb from a NAS drive to a 1Tb USB2 disk
that is attached to the NAS unit itself (a UMAX TS201).

I've been using Windows Explorer on a machine thats on the network to
do this.  While the network is gigabit, this machine is only 100meg.

The process is pretty dam slow.  On a quick investigation, its clear
that the copy being copied is being routed from the NAS unit to the PC
then back to the NAS unit through USB to the new drive.  I know this
because the network monitor on Task Manager is showing 65-70% loaded
while the copy is taking place.

I hadn't really thought about this before but it's obvious that this
should happen I guess.

I can't find any utility on the UMAX unit to directly copy/backup the
NAS drives to a USB drive (though you can do it the other way round,
i.e. backup TO the NAS).

Does anyone know how to speed thinks up by cutting out the middleman
(the PC) and getting a direct disk to disk copy?

(Obvious improvement would to use a gigabit card in the PC but I don't
have one to hand.)

Thanks

Richard