Re: A blow to the Evil Empire?

  • Subject: Re: A blow to the Evil Empire?
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 06 Jan 2008 12:18:47 -0000

I think the stage for some of this was set years ago with the launch
of the CD. The production of tape or vinyl media was more expensive
than CD's. However, CD's were significantly more expensive to buy
than the tape or record. Lots of people were very annoyed at this
and it showed the true colours of the record companies. For it is
not the artist that gains anything from this debacle just the rich
recording / production companies.

Now with iTunes I am expected to pay more per song for lower quality
(its not even CD quality) and not be able to copy it. Now that is
just greed.

I buy all my music as CD's, then rip them to FLAC (lossless codec),
read the CD booklet and then put it in a box in the loft as a
backup. If a service was released whereby I could buy a CD or better
quality album on the web for download that cost say 20% less than a
CD I'd be buying it from the online store. The record comapnies
would still be making plenty of money.

As for Apple, they are killing themselves, the iPod was an amazing
invention but people are rapidly catching up and devices are more
flexible than the iPod. Even the Zune from Micorosft is gaining a
huge following with the release of the generation 2 devices. This
time next year I wouldn't be surprised if the generation 3 Zune
technically equals the iPod and Microsoft selling more devices than
Apple.

Paul

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@...> wrote:

> true or not, I don't know ... but seems to me there's a practical
> problem here that people are trying to find a solution to - ie:
how