Alarm and camera readout on PDA?

  • Subject: Alarm and camera readout on PDA?
  • From: Martin Howell <martin.howell@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2008 19:57:30 +0000

I have switches and LEDs on all my external doors; a mail sensor on my
letterbox and a few other connections to tell me what's going on in the
house from a central point.  I was going to construct a alarm panel,
with LEDs to indicate status from all the inputs, but a) it would look a
bit industrial, and b) it would be neat to include external camera
monitoring as well.  Don't want another separate PC running (saving the
planet, doncha know), and I have a collection of PDA/phones - an old O2
XDA and an orange SPV M1000.

The brainwave is to have all the inputs running to my server, which runs
all the time anyway, running a web server with a web page showing both
status from the inputs and camera pictures, then access the web page
from the PDA's browser across my wireless LAN.  I would need to invest
20 squid or so in a SD wifi card for the PDA

Is this a demented scheme brought on by many years of strong drink, or
is it a goer? Not bothered too much about the cost of the SD card, but
I'd hate to waste the next three months trying to make it all work only
to find it was never going to.  All suggestions welcome, even of the
'don't do it missus' variety

Thansk
Martin