Question for other Geovsion users

  • Subject: Question for other Geovsion users
  • From: "Paul Gordon" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2008 13:53:52 -0000

Peeps, - do any of the Geovision users here have any idea how to make
the ***king GV software obey the bloody "minimise" commands.... -
this
is beginning to get right on my t1ts!!

The GV software is in the startup group on my server, yet it
abso-bloody-lutely will not honour the startup minimised setting on the
shortcut. Also, although it does obey the "minimise all" (AKA
"show
desktop") command, - it only does so for as long *all* other windows
also remain minimised, - as soon as any other applications window is
displayed, the poxy Geovision window maximises itself again... pretty
much the only way to get the bloody thing off the screen is to use it's
own "minimize" menu command. Even then, I periodically observe
that the
window is displaying again if I go back to the console after a while....

This might not sound like a big deal, except that 90% of my access to
the server is via RDP from a remote location, over a mobile broadband
link of variable quality. The video streaming from the GV software
window *absolutely cripples* such a connection, and it does it *so*
badly, that the GV software itself seems to think there is a problem of
some kind, and goes into an endless terminate-itself & restart itself
loop, - making it even more difficult (nay impossible) to actually get
to the minimise menu option, and so the whole server spirals onto its
arse in an ever-worsening collapse until it usually ends up rebooting
itself, whereupon the whole cycle repeats itself if I attempt to connect
again, since the software is in the startup group, and won't startup
minimised....

I've tried to allay the problem by setting the options on the RDP
session appropriately, - i.e. turn the video quality right down to the
minimum, & this does help. Thing is, that option is only available if I
use the full MSTSC client, and I tend to prefer to use the MMC hosted
version, because I've built a custom MMC console that allows me to very
conveniently see & connect to all the various remote desktops that I
need to from a single interface. Using the MMC, I don't have any options
to tune down the video quality (at least not that I can find in the UI).

So I either have to choose between my custom MMC console, OR a separate
session that doesn't kill the server if the GV software happens not to
be minimised for any reason. - This is a compromise I shouldn't have to
make, and it's only forced on me by the piss-poor programming decisions
made by Geovision coders... (Frankly, Windows app designers should be
forced to obey Windows UI conventions under pain of having their nadgers
slammed between 2 breeze blocks).

Has anyone found a way to make this damn bloody software bend to their
will?

(Apart from this issue, the GV software is great!)

Paul G.