Long VGA and Audio cables or converters over Cat5?

  • Subject: Long VGA and Audio cables or converters over Cat5?
  • From: "ianh1000" <ianh1000@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 18:48:54 -0000

Hi All,

I want to connect what is currently my touch screen Kiosk and TV in the
kitchen together. They are at opposite ends of the room but both
adjacent to a boxed in soil pipe. The simples route is all the way to
the loft and back down again and I have CAT5 in place at both locations.

The simplest option seems to be some VGA/Audio over CAT5 units but
these look quite expensive and I would guess a PSu at both ends. The
alternative is a long VGA and audio cable, I guess about 20m long.

what is going to give me:

1. The best performance
2. The most flexibility ( change to HDMI later?)

The VGA cable option looks to be cheaper but I am concerned that a
cheap cable will give a poor picture over this distance. This is just
my from what I have seen with projectors install this way at work.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109