Re: DECT phones. Latest recommendations.

Can anyone recommend a good DECT headset phone?
I think the gadget show featured one that supported bluetooth but
was unsure if this was just for importing contacts from a mobile
or would also support a bluetooth headset.

2008/12/6 Neil Fuller <neil.fuller@xxxxxxx>

> We have a Siemens Gigaset S685IP with 4 handsets.
>
> Very happy with it and SWMBO also approves!
>
> There's no central directory but it's simplicity to copy one directory
> to other phones.
> You can also import outlook directories etc.
>
> The ability to transfer directories is a double edged sword though and
> it's easy to wipe out someones number by over-writing with another
> phones directory. We've got over this by designating one phone as the
> master (it's the one called Living Room - see later about naming
> phones), use that to input any additional name/numbers and replicate
> that phones directory to the other phones.
>
> VOIP just works too ( we use Draytel at the moment).
>
> You can answer on one handset and transfer to another.
>
> Another nice touch is the ability to name handsets. We leave two
> donstairs and two upstairs so when transferring, we know which handset
> to transfer to.
>
> Can't comment on range but it works all over our average 4-bed
detached
> and right to the bottom of the garden.
>
> The menu is OK but a bit fiddly until you get used to it.
>
> Support is excellent - I couldn't get the RSS reader working (didn't
> RTFM) so I called the support line.
>
> The guy knew the product well and I had it all working in a couple of
> minutes.
>
> Build quality is excellent compared to many with a couple of the
phones
> having survived drop tests.
>
> The kids love the intercom feature, using the phones like a pair of
> walkie talkies and if you have very small ones, you can set up a baby
> intercom feature.
>
> I can't remember how much they cost (ISTR =A3200 ish).
>
> HTH
>
> Regards
>
> Neil
>
> Peter and Jane wrote:
> >
> > Not sure if this is OT. If yes then AIA (apologies in advance!)
> >
> > We are still running a Deutsche Telekom DECT phone brought back
with
> > us 5 years ago. It is brilliant but getting aged and now I want
> > several handsets in the new house. Over the years I have found
the
> > quality, range, features and menu structure of DECT phones to be
very
> > variable. The German one I have and like is probably made by
Siemens,
> > and I notice BT sold it as a BT Diverse 5410.
> >
> > The list of requirements is
> > 4 handsets
> > Pick up on any and transfer to any
> > Answerphone, accessible from all handsets.
> > Hands free available on all handsets
> > Decent range. House has steel reinforced concrete basement.
Signal
> > needs to get down there.
> > Caller display including lookup from directory so name is
displayed.
> > Calls in and out list (say last 10)
> > Missed calls list
> > Page (to find missing handsets)
> > Non irritating menu system
> > Non irritating failure recovery (I read that some cheapo's revert
> > factory settings if range lost)
> > Central directory (or ability to easily copy from handset to
handset.
> > Not bothered about SMS.
> > Not bothered about VOIP as Sipgate does that.
> >
> > General observations
> > Philips (of whom I used to be a big fan) seem to have gone down
the
> > tubes for quality and reliability (direct experience).
> > The budget makes (Binatone and the like) are junk (generalisation
from
> > direct experience)
> > The Japanese makes seem to be "quirky"...odd features,
logic or looks
> > (could be wrong)
> > I remember a thread on this forum re Siemens Gigastat. Seemed to
be
> > liked but has the technology moved on from there?
> >
> > Appreciate any recommendations for or against from list members
> > experience.
> > Do we have a phone "guru" on the list..if so happy to
follow up off