Re: Room occupancy detection

  • Subject: Re: Room occupancy detection
  • From: "Brian Milton" <bmilton@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 11:43:17 -0000

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the input.

I did think of the possible use of cameras but the whole 'Big Brother'
area didn't seem to pleasing to family and friends as Dave and Paul
outlined.  Even if they where just thermal imaging cameras, i think
people would still feel uncomfortable.  So that idea went out the window.

Just to clear up a few things mentioned about the bluetooth idea.
Yes the person would need to have there phone with them, which is the
biggest downside.  But I would look into smaller bluetooth devices
that may be less of problem to carry at a later date.  For the moment
phones will have to do.

As Kevin said about other bluetooth devices left around.  If they are
static devices such as a wireless keyboard, your wii they could be
used as a reference point in a room to help work out the persons
position.  These would have to be manually added to the system and
there position programmed in.  As for other devices left around, if
they are not part of the system they won't be included and just
ignored.  This sort of covers the problem Wayne mentioned of picking
up his neighbors phone.

There would have to be a certain amount of devices placed around the
house that could be used for triangulation, these devices would be
programed into the system with there set position.

Anyway thanks for the input, and I'm sure I'll be coming across
problems as I go.  I'll let you's know how i get on.

Cheers
Brian
--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Paul Gale <groups2@...> wrote:

> Well, I suppose you could always set up a pay per view site and not
worry about the consequences!  ;)

> Paul.

 :o)

> > What you need is a system that can detect occupancy but not send
the
> > video
> > signal anywhere. It would be self contained and only give out
some
form
> > of
> > indication of room empty or full.
> >
> > Certainly raises and interesting point though about something
that
> > looks
> > like a camera!!
> >
> > Dave...