Re: Room occupancy detection

Hiya Brian,

I've wondered this myself as an idea for a while, albeit a slightly
different approach.
I was thinking something along the lines of giving people little
bluetooth 'badges' - which could be modified bluetooth headset to act as
the locator - although I don't suppose its too much different from a
phone for just the bluetooth side - (think 'star trek comms badge'
idea). (ok - wild thoughts but bare with ;-)

I'm sure I read somewhere that part of the bluetooth protocol has the
ability to tell you how far a bluetooth object was away from another
bluetooth object - more like a little 'pre amble' that gives you a
radius of separation. Now... if (there's a few ifs and buts here) you
can get a small bluetooth usb type stick positioned in the corner of
rooms, then you could hopefully tell from the bluetooth chatter if it
could 'see' a 'badge'. Scatter enough of these around and you can tell
what room a 'badge' is in.

ok, big problem 1, bluetooth knows no walls - the usb stick I have for
my pc here can pick up next doors mobile phone!. If (that word again) it
could be possible to shield the stick in such a way that it was
surrounded on 3 sides with metal - would that be enough to focus its
reception? Think along the lines of a metal square biscuit tin, then cut
off a corner to get yourself a 3 sided pyramid - put that up in the
corner - usb stick inside - would that be enough? (Now I'm not saying we
all need to be cutting up Foxes Chocolate Special collections tins here
- but you get the idea). If you didn't have any shielding then working
out distances from all the receivers would need calibration when they
are in place - as you may find that the receiver in your hall gets just
as good a signal from the one in your kitchen and throw the whole thing
out.
2, there are no bluetooth 'startrek' badges - so you would be butchering
a headset/ear piece. Interesting if you could make use of the audio as a
walkie talkie type thing - just remember to turn the audio off when you
visit the loo! Also, if you can intercept the audio from these things -
then maybe voice controlled HA is a possibility. Mostly the earpieces
are pretty focused on audio pick-up - so background noise now isnt a
problem?
3. the usb bluetooth sticks - erm - its usb! that wont stretch around
your house that's for sure! - you would have to look at getting some
sort of 'hub' that could then map these maybe into IP... I have seen
devices that let you extend usb over IP that may work - but they don't
seem to come in 'budget'
4. everyone/thing that you want to track needs to keep the 'badge' with
them. I guess including your pet dog! - If you were using phones, then
for teenagers this isn't so much of a problem - do you know any teenager
that /doesn't/ have their mobile with them!!

Other than that (could there be any more obstacles!!) - there's a few
'leaps of thought' with this - but at this point - bouncing around ideas
is the best way to start (after the sniggers die down that is :)

Cheers
Wayne.