Re: Which HA standard to use for first home?

  • Subject: Re: Which HA standard to use for first home?
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 13:21:49 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Duncan" <duncan.sample@...>
wrote:

> Hi Mal
>
> Sorry, I had totally forgotten the message was there still.  I've
> removed it now.  I'm currently in the process of redesigning the site.
>
> I really value your opinion, as I read your Z-Wave page a few moments
> after posting and started having doubts in my choice.  I'm wondering
> what alternative there is though that offers the same kind of features
> that isn't hard to fit (ie. doesn't require a full rewiring of the
house).

> Duncan

I feel quite negative towards Z-Wave in the UK (as you may have
gathered) - the products have not appeared as promised.  Even now the
range is extremely limited - a couple of plug in modules and some cheap
looking plastic lightswitches.  The remote is very bulky and old
fashioned.

It's also a complete pain in the ass to set up and configure - far more
complex than it needs to be.

Despite the complexity and lack of software, I'd probably go for Z-Wave
myself if the range of devices was better - e.g less cumbersome
remotes, wire-in modules (instead of plug in) and more elegant switches.

For an alternative, you could look at HomeEasy - it's wireless and low
cost, and you can buy the modules in B&Q.  It seems reliable enough to
me, although there is no feedback of status that you get with Z-Wave.
In that respect it's more of a wireless replacement for X10.  HomeEasy
don't do a PC interface, but you can use an RFXCOM transmitter/receiver
instead.

HTH

Mal

Limited Time Offer - Free iPhone VAT Calculator
http://berble.com/index.php/component/content/article/109