Re: Core2Duo motherboards for power consumption

On 22 Aug 2008, at 01:11, brougham Baker wrote:
> From: "David Gumbrell" <david.gumbrell@xxxxxxx>
>> I'm considering a new HA server, want low power but would like to
run
>> video capture as well. My video capture board seems to be
>> incompatible
>> with ITX/VIA boards so I am considering "normal" boards.
The question
>> is, using a relatively low clocked Core2Duo, can the power
>> consumption
>> be reduced into the 30-45W ballpark of an ITX board ? How good is
the
>> power scaling these days?
> http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/Atom-Athlon-Efficient,review-31253.html
> Athlon Vs. Atom: Duel Of The Energy Savers : AMD Athlon 64 2000+ At
> 8 Watts
> Conclusion: Athlon 64 Is More Economical, Faster, And Quieter

There's something not quite right with that article.

They have the AMD 780G chipset down as having a TDP of 0.95W compared
to the 945GC's 22.2W.

As far as google can make out, AMD say the TDP of the 780G is 15W
(0.95W is the idle power consumption...), with a typical power
consumption of around 11W.  (Can't find an idle power figure for the
945GC, but it will most likely be a lot more than 0.95W...)

It also seems to be somewhat lacking in detail about exactly what they
were measuring the power consumption of, and what "100% load"
refers
to...

The end result may be correct, but if so the evidence has been very
poorly presented...

Jim