Auto shutdown pc on power loss....

  • Subject: Auto shutdown pc on power loss....
  • From: "noel_pilot" <HA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:33:13 -0000

Hi All,

Looking for a way to shutdown the pc when I've finished watching a
film. I used to have shutdown on lan working from a python script
within xbmc which pretty much did the job but required positive action
to run the script.  I then shut the power socket off using an X10
remote appliance module.

Ideally I'd like to be able to hit power off on my harmony remote and
everything switch off including the pc shutdown.

Now one way in which I assume I could do this is get a small UPS
device with pc shutdown on AC power loss, get an x10 IR interface and
then the IR remote can turn the power socket off, the UPS detects this
and issues a shutdown command to the pc.

Alternatively I'm thinking that I should be able to fit a IR receiver
to the pc and control somehow in a similar way to Media centre?? I'm
running XP Pro by the way.

Any thoughts on the above or any better solutions?!?!

Cheers

Noel