Re: Dimmer switches

There was an article on Automated Home a while back about using DMX
dimmers for exactly this.  DMX dimmers are very low cost and in fact the
guy wasn't using DMX but the 0-10V input control many of these offer.
Which may also leave the DMX network control of these available as a
later automation expansion option...

Here's the link.

http://tinyurl.com/266px4 <http://tinyurl.com/266px4>

Tim Hawes wrote:
> Nigel,
>
> Well yes, I was waiting for the shouts of "heretic" when I
posted that ;-)

> I had considered upgrading to a managed system like Cbus but this
> project has had enough "mission creep" as it is... What
started out as
> getting the ceilings skimmed has now snowballed a bit. It's not
> necessarily a bad thing but I should plan a bit more if I want to rip
> the rest of the house apart.
>
> My search terms for Google only seemed to reveal remote controlled
> (i.e. from an IR remote) dimmers - do you have a link to the dimmers
> you've used?
> I've got good access to the ceiling lights from the floor above so a
> bit of re-jigging could be possible :-)
>
> Did you make up your own wall plates & pots, or are
"standard" dimmers
> using 1K pots?
>
> Also while googling, I did find these slightly higher-rated
"iQ"
> dimmer switches at TLC:
> http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/KND22C.html
> these are 300W vs. the more standard 250W and do both mains and LV.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim.
>

> On 8/21/08, Nigel Giddings <nigel@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Tim,
>>

>> Why do something simply when it could be more complicated?
>>

>> Have you considered using a remote dimmer with a 1K Potentiometer
in you
>> wall plate that could adjust the 0-10v control line on the remote
>> dimmer.
>>

>> You would need to run two low voltage/low current wires from the
Pot to