RE: [OT] Any plastics experts out there ??

That's a slightly broad question, but I'll give you some
"starters" at a very basic level.

Simplest "home" method for identifying plastic.....grab some nail
varnish remover (I know you paint your nails :-)) or acetone to give it its
blokes name ;-). If the plastic goes sticky its probably PVC or ABS based.
If not then more likely polypropylene or polyethylene based. There are
other chemical tests but beyond most home users.

Most plastics do well in cold (-40F is generally OK) but will go brittle.
As far as heat is concerned most plastics begin to soften and loose there
structural properties around 200F (93C) but that's a very broad figure.

Acrylic 180 F
Polycarbonate 240 F
Styrene 150 F
ABS 175 F
Nylon 220 F
Acetal 220 F
Teflon 500 F

Your simplest route would be to find a local college or uni that could run
some tests for you. We did some work in the recent past that involved
putting parts of caravans in extreme cold and heat to test the repair
characteristics of plastics and fibreglass but proper commercial testing is
expensive.

If your going to use SWMBO's oven then................best of luck!

Rob