RE: Re: [OT] - Office IT support

Rolling two answers into one (hope you don't mind)

> With the D2D2T does that mean I have off site storage as well?

No, unless you have a second office nearby. D2D2T just means that there is
separate backup server with a lot of disks in it, which acts as a 'staging'
point for your live server. You would probably still need a faster/better
tape drive, although it's less of a concern because the slow bit (to tape)
runs from the backup server, rather than from the main server.

Quite often, a tape system can really 'get going' in a dedicated backup
server just because the server isn't spending so much time doing other
stuff.

> I think the NAS is a SAN it is a NAS with an OS?

Every NAS has an OS - contact me offlist if you want, and we can be more
specific about product names etc.

> SAN node or NAS?

If you have lots of servers (more than 7 or 8, although that's a personal
judgement call) then a SAN is the way to go - especially if you use
virtualisation of the servers. I don't think it's appropriate for your
described needs.

> Do I really need a SAN node? Or will a NAS do?

No - a NAS will do fine (although, given your backup speed concerns, there
is a lot to be said for 'lots of disks in the server'!!)

Ian.