RE: 1-wire advice needed.

  • Subject: RE: 1-wire advice needed.
  • From: "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 08:19:32 +0100

Piers,

I use the 1-wire temperature sensors in conjunction with a Temp05 board
(now superseded by a Temp08) see www.midondesign.com
<http://www.midondesign.com/> . I
use this with www.homeseer.com
<http://www.homeseer.com/>  there is
a 30 day trial which allows you to
work through some of the abilities...

Personally I have cobbled my systems together from other peoples
solutions rather than building my own from scratch, don't under estimate
the time required....

As far as movement detection and occupancy monitoring you have hit upon
a big area. I am not sure PIRs will do what you want. You have already
mentioned the issue of pets and under sensitivity. Most PIRs are
designed not to give false alarms and therefore err on the side of
caution, or not detecting... Position of the sensors can also be key in
the ability to 'see' movement.

Have you considered using Bluetooth or RFID. Again this is something
that can be used in conjunction with Homeseer and allows the application
to track who is in what location. It does require you to have a
Bluetooth device (Mobile Phone) or RFID tag with you at all times but
depending on your partner this may not be an issue? A lot of this will
also depend on your building, construction type, layout, etc...

Just a couple of more things to consider.

Nigel