Re: 1366 x 768 over HDMI

  • Subject: Re: 1366 x 768 over HDMI
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 12:37:24 -0000

I don't think this is anything to do with HDMI as such.  More to do
with the TV itself.

I have a pioneer with similar resolution.  When outputting a signal
from a PC (Mac in my case) the TV tends to 'take over' and it
Overscans(see Wikipedia or Google) and effectively crops the image.
This is ok for TV broadcasts and this was the original use of
overscanning to fit various broadcasts onto different screens.  But
it's lousy with PC signals because it crops important boarders/icons
etc.  (PC screens do not overscan.)

I suspect with your 1360 the TV is overscanning but the stretch takes
the image to the full width of the screen. on 1366 it still stretches
the image but now you also see the crop.  Not sure if there is an
answer unless you can configure the tv to switch off overscanning (Ive
never found a way with the pioneer).

In the end I gave up with trying to get true 1:1 mapping and just
fitted it - picture quality is still excellent.  I'm not even sure it
is possible to get 1:1 mapping on a tv as the tv mucks around so much
and does what it wants to do.

I'd be willing to bet that all this stuff about true 1080 screens is
also general bollocks too.  The HDMI may transmit 1080 signal, the
screen may be 1080 too but I bet the TV electronics then
manipulate/stretch/crop the signal so that you do not a real 1:1
mapping from signal to screen - whatever you might think/hope for.

So if you really want 1:1 mapping I think you have to get a PC monitor
not a TV.  Do they do 50" monitors?

I'd love to be proved wrong on this though!