Country bumpkin seeks fast internet connection

  • Subject: Country bumpkin seeks fast internet connection
  • From: "biggles299" <charles@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:03:02 -0000

OI lives out in the country and have right proper problems getting
fast internet connection.

The best I can get from the exchange is 1Mb on a good day. Seems someone
thought
baleing twine would be better than copper or fibre. The exchange is
allegedly 8MB enabled
(no LLU) but because it is almost 2miles from the village centre I have yet
to see better than
4Mb anywhere. We are a further mile outside the village hence our lousy
connection.
We don't have mains gas or sewerage so the chances of cable reaching us
sometime before
the next millenium are pretty slim

My question is can anybody comment on what the TRUE performance of
Satellite internet
connection is, not just download speed for large files but latency, ping
times etc. Does it still
require a phone line or broadband connection.
Is there a hybrid system that uses both broadband and Satellite to give you
good response
for smaller file stuff but a good download speed when you want it?

Thanks
Charles