Re: 'Best' format for ripped DVDs?

  • Subject: Re: 'Best' format for ripped DVDs?
  • From: "Paul Bendall" <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 12:33:06 -0000

Interesting thread as I am experimenting with something similar.
Ultimately I would like to rip my DVDs centrally and then stream
them to the lounge / bedrooms. Devices will probably be desktop
PC's, playstation or Xbox.

I've had a play with Slysoft AnyDVD to copy the DVD to the hard-
drive, then use Handbrake to encode. But I'm not sure of the most
appropriate format and get consfused over terms such as container /
codec. H264 seems very prominant, but I am not sure Media Centre,
Media PLayer are able to deal with it. Then throw in a Wii device
which only likes Flash and it gets quite complicated.

Two products I am looking at for Streaming are TVersity and Videolan
VLC. However, one thing I do need to do is update my Mini-ITX server
to a more powerful system, currently loonking at the Commell LV678
which with take Core2 Duo/Quad processors with 1333FSB and 4GB of
RAM. I'll keep my existing Mini-ITX board to control Idratek and
send magic packets to the new server to send it to sleep (WOL) and
conserve energy.

Well thats the plan

Paul