'Best' format for ripped DVDs?

  • Subject: 'Best' format for ripped DVDs?
  • From: "rb_ziggy" <rb.lists@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 09:09:20 -0000

A while back I started experimenting with ripping DVDs and serving
these from a NAS.  I've got this all up and running nicely.

However, I'm now wondering if I went down the right route with
formats.  To keep it simple I originally ripped the DVDs as straight
copies (i.e. Video_TS with .VOB files).  I wanted to make sure I kept
the same quality as on the DVD so didn't really want to introduce
compression and loss of quality (we watch on a 50" plasma not an
ipod).

But I'm wondering if there is a 'better solution'.  Do some of the
other formats offer no (appreciable) loss of quality but chapters
markers, no dvd copyright blurb, better (lossless) compression.  I'm
not too bothered about keeping the DVD menu either. (But must keep 5.1)

Thoughts?