Re: No NTE5 BT Socket

Can't comment on all of it, but my understanding (from reading web
sites an=
info picked up over the years) is that you are *not* allowed to change the
master socket yourself.  Only Openreach are allowed into this box.

That said, I'm absolutely certain people have done what you mention, and
probably with varying levels of competance, safety and success - but it's
still forbidden none-the-less.

IIRC the NTE5 units fitted by BT/openreach are supposedly slightly
differen=
mouldings (ie with log on) which supposedly arent obtainable anywhere else.

Can't comment on whether BT charge for changing the faceplate, but they
"only" charge =A3120 or thereabouts to install a brand new
line... (which
presumably would include a master socket!).  So the possible price range
should at least be limited to this (still far far far too high for a =A35
p=
art
and 5 minutes work).

If you do ask BT how much for them to change it, please do post back to the
list.

jon

On Wed, Apr 2, 2008 at 3:52 PM, Ben McCormack <
yahoogroup@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   All
>
> Just moved into the new house and trying to get my head around the
> wiring!! The house was a Church and was converted 30 years ago, I
> think most of the wiring was done about 27 years ago.
>
> Got some questions about the BT Line.
>
> Incoming line is overhead and is attached to the corner of the house.
> This wire (Thick Black) then comes inside and goes into the old
> rounded GPO connection boxes that looks like it is being used to
> protect the crimped connections. 2 wires from the Think Black wire are
> crimped to a grey wire that then runs and feeds an older style Master
> BT socket (Like this one - http://www.britishtelephones.com/lju2.htm)
>
> I am interested in tidying this arrangement up.
>
> Do BT have any reason to replace the old Master Socket with a newer
> NTE5 that I can then wire from? Or will they charge me a fortune to
> replace?
>
> Could I just replace with a NTE5 myself? If I did this could I just
> wire the new NTE5 in the Black incoming wire?
>
> Regards
> Ben
>=20=20

--=20