[OT] Vista Wierdness

  • Subject: [OT] Vista Wierdness
  • From: "Keith Doxey" <ukha@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2008 15:56:30 +0100

Hi All

Just got my new laptop with the dreaded Vista virus and am trying to get my
head round some of its quirks.

Something causing me severe grief at the moment is IIS.

If I try to access the webserver runnng on the laptop in the form
http://machine_name/webpage.asp
it takes the laptop ages to find the
webserver but once found the response is instant unless I leave the machine
alone for a few minutes then it forgets where "machinename" is.

Other machines on my network have no problem accessing the webserver and
always get an instant response.

If I use a URL in the form http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/webpage.asp
there is no
problem whatsoever but this isn't really something I want to do as I use
the
machine on several different networks so its actual physical IP address
isn't always the same.

It seems to be something to do with IPv6 IP addresses as any webpage that I
am using the REMOTE_HOST variable in gets the IPv6 address displayed
instead
of the IPv4 address.

Any ideas how to disable this as I NEED to be able to identify the machine
by IP address and have the server addressable by machine name.

Two other things causing grief...

1.	Programs that wont run unless run as administrator. Have configured
the shortcuts to run as administrator but still have to confirm that I want
to allow the program to run EVERYTIME. Is there a way to overcome that
without disabling UAC completely ?

2.	Internet Exploder 7 has different behaviour in vista to XP Pro. When
holding the mouse over a hyperlink, the address doesn't show in the status
bar but does for hyperlinked images. Firefox works fine when mousing over
links as does XP with both browsers.

Initial impression of Vista is that it is very pretty but the hurdles to
doing the work I have been doing for years on XP are rapidly persuading me
that Vista may not last long on this machine !!!!

Thanks

Keith