RE: Re: DMX controller for HA use?

  • Subject: RE: Re: DMX controller for HA use?
  • From: "Ian Davidson" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 18:22:12 +0100

Hi

That long ago! It was me that did the bulk buy back then. Anyway I did
install a number under a waterfall back in 2003 with a standalone
controller I built. It is still working 100% and none of the lights have
failed even in the harsh conditions.

Last year I built a bar in a conservatory I had installed. The top I had
specially cut out of frosted glass and again put a number of the light
below it so the top of the bar can change to any colour. I also
purchased a different brand of lighting bar 1 metre long from ebay and
used fifteen of those to go around the roof. Both lots are DMX lights. I
had the same problem with controllers as I wanted to use a free DMX
program called freestyler I think. Anyway I decided the controllers cost
too much and programmed one of my PIC boards to mimic the commands for a
commercial unit and then ran the software. It all works great, although
it is currently not connected to my main HA system (Homeseer) it does
run on the media centre in the conservatory and allows us to have any
colour we want in there or for parties we can get the lights to change
with the music.

One final task is to connect the pond lights up with the new controller.
I installed some underground ducting last year when I had a mini digger
here. Anyway one of this weekends tasks is to carry on with the ducting
to node zero. This should have been easy but we discovered last weekend
that the end of the ducting is now six feet underground due to how we
landscaped after putting the ducting in! Looks like a fun weekend coming
up!

Ian D