From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of
Rob Iles
Sent: 09 September 2007 00:53
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [ukha_d] Government response to petition 'iplayer'

"

The BBC Trust has responsibility for ensuring that the correct degree of
scrutiny is given to all proposals from the BBC Executive for new services
(such as the iPlayer) and any significant changes to existing services. To
fulfill this duty, the Trust conducted a Public Value Test on the BBC
Executive's proposals to launch new on-demand services, including BBC
iPlayer. This included a public consultation and a market impact assessment
by Ofcom.

In the case of the iPlayer, following the consultation, the Trust noted the
strong public demand for the service to be available on a variety of
operating systems. The BBC Trust made it a condition of approval for the
BBC's on-demand services that the iPlayer is available to users of a range
of operating systems, and has given a commitment that it will ensure that
the BBC meets this demand as soon as possible. They will measure the BBC's
progress on this every six months and publish the findings.
"

hmm, I can see one of two things happening here.

#1 - BBC Trust decide they can't meet the requirements, and pull the player
altogether, or

#2 - Every 6 months, we'll get reports of "still working through
technical
difficulties, in the mean time, Windows users can continue to use iPlayer,
we aim to support additional OS's ASAP...."

Cynical, moi?

R.