RE: [OT] Some pic asm code help

  • Subject: RE: [OT] Some pic asm code help
  • From: "Ian Davidson" <ian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 03:11:33 +0100

Hi Frank

I've not used that ic before but looking at the data sheet it works like
this.

The value you read from the ic will be a word value. It is left
justified so you need to rotate the value right three times to get the
LSB into the bit 0 position.

Say you read
00000000 01010000

By rotating it 3 times it will become
00000000 00001010

Now you need to test bit 12, in the example it is a zero which means the
number is a positive number. You can therefore just use that number in
this case decimal 10. If you are using the internal resistor then the
resolution is 0.625mA. 10 x 0.625mA is 6.25mA which is the current the
device is seeing.

Now if bit 12 was a 1

I.e.
00011111 11110110
Then that is a negative number. In two complement you need to invert all
the bits and add one for all the bits below bit 12 so

00000000 00001001

Add 1

00000000 00001010

Which is 10 decimal times by 0.625mA equals -6.25mA

I hope that made sense Frank.

Ian D