Re: Is X10 still the way to go?

  • Subject: Re: Is X10 still the way to go?
  • From: "Karam Karam" <kzkaram@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:35:44 -0000

Possibly missing the point ...

Whether Windows, Linux or another OS is used I think its true that
people do have reservations about using a 'PC' to drive their HA
system. But the comparisons with X10, 1-wire, EIB, CBUS, Z-wave etc.
are probably missing the point. To get 'intelligent' HA as opposed to
what we often refer to as simple remote/scheduling/macro type control
takes a lot of computing power. Decision making that we take for
granted as human beings takes quite a lot of computing power to
implement and even then the computer doesn't always get it right.

In the IDRATEK system the IDRANet infra-structure already provides a
powerful sensory/actuation network and can likely do much more than
any of the other sytems mentioned above on its own. However the aim
of IDRATEK is to go beyond what we may perhaps classify as generation
1 HA (simple remote/scheduled/macro control) and move into the realms
of HA generation 2. In this realm it is important that you have rich
sensory information, that you can integrate it in some useful way,
and that the user does not have to see all the underlying complexity
or even have to interact with system parameters - we don't even like
the idea of people having to adjust their HVAC (but we're realistic :-
) ). Let me explain that some of our modest installations easily have
upwards of several 100 'objects' connected to their system (an object
being something like a temperature, light level, PIR etc. sensor or
an output such as a light, fan. blind etc.). Can you imagine trying
to handle all of this using X10 as the hardware base? And even if
using something more substantial, without some hefty computing power
to integrate it all?

So I guess what I'm saying is it just depends what type of HA someone
would like as to what type of hardware they might have to entrust it
to. Not saying that HAGen2 is for everyone since some people may find
the features provided by HAGen1 entirely suiteable and adequate.
There are also many other factors which affect the HA system choice
such as style, integration with audio/video/telephony, easeof
installation, ease of programming, etc, etc, ..

IMHO the wider public are still being introduced to the concepts of
HAGen1 let alone HAGen2. A wireless doorbell can be classified as HA
in some circles :-)

Karam
IDRATEK LTD

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "dermot_bradley" <bradley@...>