Re: HA Server Backup Tool/Process recommendations needed (XP Pro onl

  • Subject: Re: HA Server Backup Tool/Process recommendations needed (XP Pro onl
  • From: "Tim Fletcher Dot Com" <tim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 09:21:47 -0000

HI Guys,

I WAS a big fan of Ghost - used it countless times without much grief, but
I then tried Acronis Drive Image (I think it has a new name now) and it
knocks Ghost into a cocked hat.  Unbelievable.  It does more than Ghost and
Partition Magic put together - I cloned a 3 partition IDE boot drive to a
much bigger SATA drive removed the IDE drive and it just booted from the
SATA first time without any hassle.  Totally brilliant.

I think it has the capacity to do full/incremental backups etc. but I'm not
sure about scheduling. Definitely worth a look.  They may have another
product which is more suitable.

No commercial affiliation blah blah.

Tim.
Happy Customer

David,

This came up recently on the Automated Home forums. I'm a big fan of
Norton (Symantec) Ghost, but there are other apps. An imaged HDD ready
to go directly into a target machine was a backup strategy I used in a
previous job. I didn't worry about having the latest data on the spare
disk as it was just a temporary/emergency measure, but data could be
back-populated onto the new disk, or the temp drive swapped out with
the permanent replacement for the target machine.

The Automated Home thread is here:
http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=1577

Ghost would backup over a network connection, although I don't know if
it can do this to a NAS solution that isn't a "PC".

HTH,

Tim.