Re: Re: Sensors for doors & windows & ...

I think shaft encoders (and my initial design proposal) may be
overkill.

I'm looking into a number of possibilities at the moment, and will post
some
clearly defined thoughts (that'd be a first!) in the next few days.

*IF* I come up with something I feel is sensible, would aby of you be
willing to test it? (I'm renting property in a listed building, which means
I can do very little in terms of screwing things to doors/windows etc - -
it's sticky pads/velcro/retrofit everywhere!) Any volunteers?

Cheers,

Rob

On 10/29/07, Karam Karam <kzkaram@xxxxxxx> wrote:

>   I'm pretty sure the Maxbotix sensors have analogue output variants -
> so you could interface 4 at a time into IDRANet via the QAI (4x
> analogue input) modules. What are you trying to achieve overall?
>
> Karam
> IDRATEK LTD
>

> --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>, Chris Hunter
> <cjhunter@...> wrote:
> >
> > Gerry's boards ... presumably as in :
> >
> > http://www.rgbled.org/maxbotix/index.html
> >
> > up to twelve sensors per board sounds pretty useful !
> >
> > our PC has four RS232 sockets, one maybe two being spare ... so
> could
> > be good for us, too (assuming I can link to Cortex) ... !
> >

> > Chris
> >

> > On 27 Oct 2007, at 12:23, Kevin Hawkins wrote:
> >
> > > I'm intending using some of the Maxbotix ultrasonic sensors
> pointing
> > > slightly diagonally across the doorways. These then provide
> > > direction
> > > indication for a person moving into or out of a room (short
> > > long or
> > > long to short reading) and based on distance you can elimate
> outside
> > > false trips. I use Gerrys boards, only played so far but
seems
> > > viable,
> > > fortunately I have deep doorways in walls often 3 foot
thick. .
> > > top
> > > mount sensor might even identify people based on height- or
the
> dog .
> > >
> > > I also have some Pulsor -strain sensors arriving any day now
-
> which I
> > > hope to use on the stairs and a couple of doorways.

limitations
> of
on what it's
> locking