Re: Sensors for doors & windows & ...

ignoring the prices, all these look interesting :

http://www.usdigital.com/products/products.shtml

http://tinyurl.com/2a8b9y

Chris

On 28 Oct 2007, at 20:08, Chris Hunter wrote:

> 'wonder if something like this would be better than a potentiometer -
>
> http://www.usdigital.com/products/s4/
>
> with the string-approach, that is ...
>
> Chris
>

> On 28 Oct 2007, at 12:02, Chris Hunter wrote:
>
>> going a bit further ... maybe a string run between a point on the
>> door & spring-unit in the frame (or the other way around), to
keep
>> the string in-tension, would work, the string being wound-around a
>> potentiometer at some point between the two ends ... with an
>> additional pulley, the spring & the potentiometer could be
hidden in
>> the frame, or the door ...
>>
>> a linear slider potentiometer might be an alternative ...
>>
>> not sure about duty-cycle ...
>>
>> hmm, could be worth an experiment ...
>>
>> Chris
>>

>> On 28 Oct 2007, at 11:41, Paul Gordon wrote:
>>
>>> I'd already thought of the very same idea, however, I'd rather
>>> thought
>>> the hidden variety would be preferable.. You may have seen the
>>> hidden
>>> type, - it usually consists of a spring box which gets mounted
in
>>> the
>>> door frame on the hinge side, and a tensioned chain issues
forth &
>>> attaches to the hinge-side of the door.
>>>
>>> When the door is closed, no part of the mechanism is visible,
- much
>>> better for a domestic environment, where I can't really
imagine many
>>> SWMBO's being too happy with the rather industrial type shown
in the
>>> picture...
>>>
>>> Again, I would imagine it shouldn't be beyond the wit of man
>>> enhance
>>> this design to sense how much of the chain is fed out, which
>>> equates to
>>> how open the door is...
>>>
>>> Paul G.

"soft-close" mechanisms you
>>> often
>>> find on doors in commercial premises - which consists of a box
>>> screwed
>>> the door (hing side) - and two arms, hinged in the middle. the
>>> mechanism
>>> (spring?) inside the box cause the door to close when you let
go.
>>> (hopefully, by now, you all know what I'm talking about!) :)
>>>
>>> a picture may help - - http://tinyurl.com/yok7h4
>>>

>>> well, if you replace the spring/tension mechanism with a
>>> potentiometer -
>>> you'd get an analogue reading of door position. feed into an
A-D
>>> Converter,
>>> and with a little calibration, you could measure the exact
angle /
>>> amount by
>>> which the door is open.
>>>
>>> The commercial products are quite bulky, and might not fit
into your
>>> home
>>> decor (decreased SOAF) - - but they're the size they are as
they
>>> need to
>>> apply considerable torque to close the door (due to the
location of
>>> the
>>> mountings).
>>>
>>> You could probably build something significantly smaller, as
the two
>>> arms
>>> only need to turn a potentiometer - mount it in a discreet
box, and
>>> away
>>> you
>>> go :)
>>>
>>> If you think this is a fantastic idea, then I hereby claim -
in
>>> public -
>>> all
>>> IP rights/copyright/patent pending ;) .....and may (seriously)
>>> consider
>>> having some made!
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>>
>>> Rob