Re: dimmable CFL

  • Subject: Re: dimmable CFL
  • From: "wywywywywywywywywywy" <wywywywy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2007 10:18:10 -0000

Hi,

Here you go.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/TLGULH.html

Would be interested in the results of a few extra tests as well if you
don't mind.

1. Mixing bulb types. E.g. one LD11 to control 1 low-energy and 1
halogen in parallel.
2. Minimum load of devices. E.g. use only a 20w low-energy bulb on a
X10 micro-module dimmer that has minimum load of 40w.
3. Fast on-off, i.e. flash, as done by some alarm systems e.g.
Marmitek SC9000. Some low-energy bulbs really hate this.
4. Use of an inline 2-wire device, like this http://tinyurl.com/3cyvm4
to see if the bulbs flicker.

Thanks,
Wayne

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Rob Iles" <rob.iles@...> wrote:

> I have 2 megaman "dimmerables" - 1 Bayonet, 1 GU10..
>
> I've also got an "Osram Dulux El Dim" - just need to find
time to
pick it up
> from supplier!
>
> I intend to test with X10, C-Bus, Dupline, Rako, EIB(/KNX), Domia-Ten
&
> Z-wave over the weekend.
>
> Is there anything in particular you ("you" being everyone
following this
> thread) are interested in? Let me know off-list if there's anything
specific
> you'd like me to test - I'll do my best to accomodate.
>
> Will report results when they're in :)
>
> BTW - slightly off topic - - does anyone know where to get a single
GU10
> bulb holder?? (Nothing fancy, just a bulb holder that can be screwed
to a
> piece of MDF) - - I ended up buying a 3 way spotlight thingummy (on
offer at
> B&Q) - - just to get *something* that would take a GU10 bulb!!
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rob
>

> On 10/25/07, Karam Karam <kzkaram@...> wrote:
> >
> >   Can verify the non-linear characteristic in our tests. We got
some a
> > couple of weeks ago and tested on our own dimmers as well as
others.
> > If memory serves correctly I think this is typical (and perhaps
> > necessary?) behaviour when dimming flourescents but someone feel
free
> > to correct me. The quoted range on the box is 2-100% but this is
> > called 'brightness' so I guess if we want to be pedantic then we
need
> > to do some lux level measurements.
> >
> > Another thing we noticed is that they did not always react too
well
> > to a sudden change in dim level (by that I mean a single mains
cycle
> > jump), but since most dimmers tend to fade between levels it will
> > likely not be a problem in practice.
> >
> > Interestingly, and not something that I can say I consciously
noted
> > before, several 3rd party inline dimmers we tried had an inherent
> > cutoff themselves ie. did not allow dimming below a certain level
> > even with incandescents - so prabably well suited anyway :-)
> >
> > In summary (based on our tests), if you're looking for that
smooth
> > fading experience from/to 0% then maybe not so good, but if
looking
> > for an energy efficient bulb which allows some level of scene
control
> > then probably ok.
> >
> > Karam
> > IDRATEK LTD
> >

> > --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx <ukha_d%40yahoogroups.com>, Chris
Hunter
> > <cjhunter@> wrote:
> > >
> > > 'strabge - were they Varilights ... ISTR they went down to
> > 1% ... ???
> > >
> > > Chris

> > reasonable
> > Byron