Re: dimmable CFL

Got 3 from TLC a couple of weeks ago. They do dim over a reasonable
range with standard dimmers, I've tried a Z-wave dimmer and a Byron
dimmer.

The biggest fault is that they don't dim to nothing. I.e. they get to
the bottom of their dimming range, which is still a reasonably high
output and then go off. Likewise they won't fade up gently from zero,
they come on after a delay at a moderate brightness.

Bill

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "wywywywywywywywywywy"
<wywywywy@...>

wrote:

> > These lights are made by Varilight and come in two forms. The
version
> > you've pointed at works form a normal switch and would, I think,
be
> > difficult to use with an HA system. The other version can be used
with a
> > standard dimmer (http://tinyurl.com/yt7vr2 <http://tinyurl.com/yt7vr2>
> > ), and might be easier to use with an HA system just by using a
normal
> > dimmer component (eg Idratek SLD).
> >
> > The switch dimmable ones have been available for a while. The
dimmable
> > ones were supposed to be available in May and slipped and slipped
and
> > slipped their shipping date. This doesn't really surprise me as
making a
> > flourescent light dimmable from a normal dimmer switch is a bit
of a
> > technical challenge - normal dimmable flourescents require a 240v
feed
> > for the heaters. I've had one on order since May and they've
finally
> > said they are shipping them. I've also been talking to Karam at
Idratek
> > about these and they've also got one on order to test with an
SLD, so
> > I'm waiting for the thumbs up before plugging into the home
Idratek
> > system (apparently if they don't work in a standard way there is
> > possiblity that it could have unexpected results on the SLD). As
soon as
> > I get any feed back I'll post an update.
> >
> > HTH, Jamie
> >

> > --- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Chris Hunter <cjhunter@> wrote:
> > > anyone tried these :
> > > http://tinyurl.com/2x2ukb <http://tinyurl.com/2x2ukb>
> > > even better, anyone tried them with HA - eg: C-Bus or
Idratek, to