Re: Windows Domain - Do I need this hassle?

  • Subject: Re: Windows Domain - Do I need this hassle?
  • From: "Mal Lansell" <mal@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2007 11:41:31 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Nigel Giddings" <nigel@...>
wrote:

> Mal,
>

> Are you running a stand-alone Domain server (with separate
installs of
> Exchange etc.)?

It's a Win2K Server box, and also runs a Mercury IMAP server for
Email, and hosts my intranet (IIS, not Apache).  It also runs a DNS
server to resolve the intranet URLs, plus xPL for HA.

It's worked fine for years, but since upgrading the hardware to
Core2Duo etc and putting it on a UPS, it's been completely flaky.  I
even tried a clean reinstall of Windows but to no avail.  It seems
that AD falls over, then there is a cascade of other problems - very
slow logins, snail-pace writes to shared disks, endless errors in
the logs that Google isn't helping with...

I've read that APC's Powerchute software (for the UPS) can cause
problems, but that supposedly only affects the business editions and
uninstalling didn't make the problem go away.

> Personally if you have two or more MS based machines running a
domain
> through SBS makes sense. A little bit more maintenance but through
the
> common interface provided by SBS it can make the network easier to
> manage overall.#

All I really need is shared access to the server drives (containing
all my media), plus the ability to read email from any PC (which I
get from the Mercury IMAP server).

VPN would be nice, but I'll need to add a second network card, and
until the thing is stable, I don't want my only path to the net
going through this box!

Mal