Hello

The group instructions recommend an introductory posting for new
members, so here goes...

I am trying to produce a very cheap open-source Linux-based home
automation controller using off-the-shelf components.  I'm basing this
on OpenWRT, because this gives you a linux ethernet enabled embedded
system for 19 uk pounds (or 15 without USB).  I've spent much of the
last 6 months grappling with the Linux side of things, so haven't had
time to look into home automation issues but I've now put together all
the hardware for my central heating control project - consisting of
Linux server with ethernet, i2c temperature sensor and reed relay, so
everything can now be controlled by Linux - total cost < 30 quid so
far.  (My boiler thermostat switches an AC 24v line @ a few mA, so no
need for expensive mains relays).

As I was looking into how to produce the web interface for this system
I decided at that point that I might be re-inventing the wheel.  I
have a choice now - either add my web interface and complete the
stand-alone project, or add compatibility with one of the home
automation systems and use *that* user interface.

I have many questions for the group, sorry for putting them all in one
post:  What should this system be compatible with?  xAP?  xPL?
SNMP???  How would people use such a system?  Are there cheaper ways
to achieve this?  Is there demand for creating a PCB with the
temperature sensor bit?  Should I switch to using 1-wire instead of
i2c?  Would people be interested in a (modified) router pre-loaded
with HA software, and if so, what should it do?

best regards,
-biff.

PS:  Currently I don't have an HA web site as such.  All my stuff is
on sourceforge, and is just general stull about Linux on the BR-6104K
hardware.  Here are some links if people are interested:

Idiots guide to setting up OpenWRT:
http://linux-adm5120.sourceforge.net/openwrt/idiots/

basic temperature sensing:
http://linux-adm5120.sourceforge.net/openwrt/i2c/