Fw: Re: Apple TV

Gareth

Got it all running.

Streaming for me is from a Apple Fileshare on a server but can do Samba etc
Plays everything I have downloaded so far

Not used XBMC - Sorry

You are welcome to pop over and have a look!

Ben

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, Gareth Cook <g@...> wrote:

> Ooh.
>=20
> Have you done this ? What does it look like ? Pretty comprehensive
codec=
=20
> set ? Can just stream off the NAS ?
>=20
> In other words, is this an actual alternative to XBMC ?
>=20
> G.
>=20
>  Gareth Cook
>  IT Architect / Project Manager, SWG Sales Europe
>  Office: +44 (0)1784 445166 - Mobile: +44 (0)7980 445166
>  email: g@xxxxxxx
>=20
>=20=20
> ----- Forwarded by Gareth Cook/UK/IBM on 15/10/2007 16:37 -----
>=20
> Discussion
> Main Topic
>=20
> ukha_d@xxxxxxx
> Today 07:49
>=20
> .
> Subject:
> .
> [ukha_d] Re: Apple TV
> .
> Category:
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Just to add to this, you can now hack the AppleTV without opening it
up=20
> using Patchstick=20
> (Copy some stuff to USB drive and connect to appleTV and reboot)
>=20
> I am running a similar setup, music from internal drive and TV shows
and=
=20
wrote:

> > Hi folks.
> >=20
> > I got my Apple TV a few weeks ago. All working a treat now.
> >=20
> > As soon as I got it I had it open killing my warranty (only way
im=20
> afraid), Ripped the 2.5"=20
> hard drive out and connected it to my external USB caddy. I then
installe=
d=20
> the trial copy of=20
> MacDrive which allows me to get read/write access to Mac partitions on
th=
e=20
> external drive.
> >=20
> > Now it was just a case of dropping the OSX version of SSH into a
bin=20
> directory of=20
> choosing, and drop a startup script which will start up the SSH daemon
on=
=20
> next boot.
> >=20
> > Now I have full SSH access, which means I can SCP file in and out
of th=
e=20
> box as well.
> >=20
> > Installed a bunch of plugins and software from www.awkwardtv.org
which=
=20
> allow me to=20
> mount my samba network shares from my NAS box, and also to play a
variety=
=20
> of files such=20
> as XVid, DivX, and DVD - streaming MPEG over wireless is horrible
though,=
=20
> the built in wifi=20
> adapter must only be capable of 802.11g, which just does not cut
the=20
> mustard - yay for=20
> my CAT5 infrastructure throughout my house though.
> >=20
> > I am using the built in 40gb for syncing music from iTunes, and
just=20
> running everything=20
> else straight off NAS, and it is working a treat.
> >=20
> > Has HD support, although I only have a max of 576p on my current
TV at=
=20
> the moment,=20
> and it allows me to select from a variety of output resolutions,
and=20
> refresh rates.
> >=20
> > One drawback through is that it only has DVI and component
outputs,=20
> Apple have=20
> assumed that anyone with a wide screen TV is likely to have a
component=20
> video input,=20
> which is obviously not the case with various CRT wide screens, and=20
> obviously not much=20
> use for us who use composite video distribution systems, so at the
moment=
=20
> I just have it=20
> connected straight to one of my TVs and not distributing it untill I
get=
=20
> an appropriate=20
> converter.
> >=20
> > One such converter is available here -=20
> http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html
-- does=20
> anyone else know another product which can do similar to this?
> >=20
> > Loving it through, and the user interface like other Apple stuff
is ver=
y=20
> accessable, and=20
> easy to use for all members of the family without much struggle.
> >=20
> > =A3200 for the 40gb model. Couldnt see the point of upgrading to
the=20
> 160gb.
> >=20
> > Chris