Re: VOIP service

Other interesting idea I've come across is running it on one of the HP
Thin
Clients, you can get an expansion case that takes a single PCI card:

*http://tinyurl.com/2hf2cu*
<http://opensourcemadness.blogspot.com/2007/09/build-your-own-linuxasteriskopenserdhcp.html>

On 03/10/2007, Adrian Merwood <adrian@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> Asterisk is the answer im afraid.
>
> I use Trixbox here - I seem to remember that they offer a pre-built
> VM that you can download from their site.  Get hold of a copy of
> VMWare Server for free and you are in business.
>
> The snag with virtualising is the lack of hardware to hook up to a
> regular phoneline.  The way around this is to use something like a
> Sipura/Linksys SPA-300 which attaches one or more phone lines (FXO)
> to you local network - this integrates well with asterisk and can
> give you access to real incoming and outgoing call from the good old
> fashioned pstn into your phone system.
>
> I use a couple of voip providers - nothing serious yet though:
>
> 1. I use FWD (free) in the USA to dial US free phone numbers - I just
> dial 1-888 etc on my phone
> 2. I have an account with voiptalk.co.uk
>
> I would like to find a good IAX provider in the UK and route more
> calls via them.
>
> On the subject of devices there is also an asterisk port for the Slug
> (NSLU2) I know someone in the industry who works with VoIP who is
> using that for all their testing.
>
> Adrian
>

> On 2 Oct 2007, at 12:56, Paul Gordon wrote:
>
> > Chaps, I'm giving consideration to getting some
"proper" VOIP
> > service up
> > & running, but I really don't know much about the current
state of the
> > "market" (so to speak)... I've never needed or bothered
to use
> > anything
> > more than Skype in the past, - which has served me well enough,
but
> > now
> > I feel I'm ready to "move up" to something more
serious.

> > I'm aware of Asterisk, but I think this runs on *nix doesn't it?
- Is
> > there a product(s) - both hardware & software that runs on
Windows, -
> > specifically 2003 server? - This is fairly important, since I
have a
> > 2003 server with available capacity, and I *really* don't want to
> > install an additional server to run another product on...
> >
> > Any pointers to online dummies guides would be appreciated...
> >
> > PS: - this doesn't *have* to be "UKHA Price"... :-) -
perfect