Re: [OT] server question

  • Subject: Re: [OT] server question
  • From: Ian Oliver <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 18:13:55 +0100

In article
<DC165600C4FB164EBE5BA82C631896AA021FD7@xxxxxxx>, Paul
Gordon wrote:
> My only question regards the hot-swap caddies... - I haven't been
> able to find out if drive caddies are provided in the empty slots in
> the chassis, or if the chassis just comes with dummy blanking plates
> in the drive slots (I know previous Proliants were usually the
> latter). - In other words, do I *have* to buy HP's drives at HP's
> utter rip-off prices, just to get the caddies that are essential to
> use them in the server? (£150 for a plastic caddy is absurd!) -
Plus
> do HP modify the firmware on the drives they supply?

Our HP DL140 G3 came without the caddies even though we went for the
hot swap chassis. The "HP" HD's look totally identical to the
"non HP"
ones we have around and from memory don't even say HP on them!

After lots of digging, these are the caddies.

The part is 373211-001
http://discountechnology.com/Compaq-SATA-SAS-Hard-Drive-Tray-Caddy-
CPN373211-001?sc=2&category=33
http://gcat.computacenter.co.uk/Catalogue/Product.asp?pn=PJ0100004

£14

Note that in the end we went the HP route due to fears of HD's being
different, but in future will just buy our own caddies and drives. At
£14 per caddy it's not exactly an expensive experiment!

BTW, HP were doing a "second CPU free" offer for the DL140
machines 2-3
months ago. Might be worth checking to see if this is likely to happen
again in the near future.

Ian Oliver
Sunny Leeds, UK
Using Java on Tini for control via Dallas 1-wire