Re: [OT] Parcelforce charges

This changed handling system by ParcelForce is a nightmare.   The
letter
system adds unnecessary delays and if you don't get that letter for
whatever reason then they send the parcel back   Almost all qualifying
parcels seem to get charged though now as well :-(.  The automated
telephone system doesn't work , it has a couple of permanent IVR loops
in it and it reads back in speech all your credit card details which is
insecure. Worse still - often you pay and they still don't send the
parcel till you contact them as that bit requires human interaction ..
It's much quicker to speak to them than use the IVR system .   A parcel
can take just a couple of days through several airports in the US (very
impressive) and then take 10 days until you get that letter.   The delay
is usually marked 'in transit' between US despatch and UK arrival. I
hope there are good films onboard.  This is I believe to avoid you
claiming delays against PF.  Of course incoming customs have to do their
bit too which PF can't speed up.

The abandoning of cash on delivery is due to driver security I'm told.
When  asked why they just couldn't refuse to accept cash (as they will
still take a company cheque) or just accept credit /debit cards for
payment they said the technology wasn't available to process
transactions  at delivery time. (lame) .  DHL, FedEx etc just
retrospectively bill you .  Any sensible system should allow online pre
payment of fees  - by entering cc details against an incoming shipment
.  Even very large companies can't automatically have incoming shipments
delivered against an account or automated payment system I'm told - this
must be a nightmare for them.  So much for customer satisfaction.

The PF fee is excessive on smaller iitems but USPS still remains the
lowest cost online trackable/insurable option from the USA - although
everytime I use it the supplier cringes and says 'I would never trust
USPS with my stuff'.    I understand if you do have to make a shipping
damage/loss claim it is a nightmare.

Kevin

Paul Gale wrote:
> Yes - I've come up against this before too. The worst bit was it was a
priority shipment but was delayed many days whilst they sent the charge
letter out - VERY inefficient! I couldn't pay it on line without the number
contained in the letter either, although I was tracking it as you were!

> Paul.

COD).