Re: Re: [OT] ZoneAlarm alternatives ??

Dom, It is pretty safe to assume though that the majority of people
on here are technically inclined in some form or another, and therefor
advice that is off the beaten track is usually given and taken :)

I have worked in various areas of IT for many years and never use a
software firewall.

Firstly: I Have no need to block outgoing connections because I know
exactly what processes I have running on any my machines at any time

Windows, and also Linux provides you with many tools in the operating
system itself to look after your network. netstat for example to check
which connections are currently being made to and from a machine.

By when you need it, I mean a scheduled weekly scan. Not having a dozen
processes sitting there scanning my hard drive and network, chewing up
resources.

And P.S I worked for High Level Support for AOL UK for 3 years, and have
dealt
with the worst of the worst so I know the typical toe-the-line support for
n00bs.

Chris