Re: [OT] ZoneAlarm alternatives ??

  • Subject: Re: [OT] ZoneAlarm alternatives ??
  • From: "Ian Lowe" <ianlowe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 07:54:55 -0000

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "domdevitto" <dom@...> wrote:

> This is, simply, such bad advice.
>
> Dom

It may not tie up with what you do in your professional life, but isn't
your exposure to the worst of this stuff colouring your views the other
way?

It's a trade off - for me, the absolutley ridiculous difficulty in
doing something as simple as mapping a drive to another machine on your
network on the fly just makes software firewalls a right royal pain in
the ass.

So, I disabled them and have not seen any problems whatsoever. I scan
from time to time with Antispyware, and have found no problems. zero.

Those of us who work with servers professionally may be paranoid about
RAID, data security, backups and so on.. but we take a call based on
the trade off between cost, functionality and the actual data being
protected.

I backup my important stuff, so if I had a malware problem, I would
simply blow the OS away, re-install and put my stuff back on. no big
deal - I'm not protecting trade secrets or financial systems.

In the meantime, I have fast reliable networking rather than the usual
parade of dodgy little problems that *always* go away when you turn the
damn software firewall off.

as advice to the general public, fair enough, use the software firewall
and live with the problems. for anyone with an IT awareness, turn the
damn thing off.

I.