Interfacing to heating...

  • Subject: Interfacing to heating...
  • From: "Phil Harris" <phil@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 22:36:03 -0000

OK - just put in an offer on a house today and that's been accepted so
time
to start thinking about controlling the place a bit.

It's a recent build (only four years old) and has one of these ...

http://www.gledhill.net/water-storage/2000-range-index/gulfstream1a.htm

( http://tinyurl.com/yuf896 )

... fitted as the boiler. I've seen that there's a standard wall mounted
thermostat fitted in the place but I'm hoping to get a bit cleverer with
the
control than that (of course).

Has anyone here controlled one of those boilers externally before? I know I
can just have the timeclock "on" all the time and tap in to the
thermostat
switching line to give a "demand" signal but I'd like to be a bit
more
elegant than just leaving the boiler "on" all the time and simply
switching
the thermostat line if possible so does anyone have any experience of
driving one of these via an external system?

Similarly has anyone come across any RF controlled TRV actuators that can
be
triggered by either contact closures or serial port commands? Ideally
something like the HomeTronic RF actuators and probably with a minimum of 8
channels (it's not a big house) but it's going to be a bugger to get cables
to the rads to switch hard wired actuators.

Phil