From: ukha_d@xxxxxxx [mailto:ukha_d@xxxxxxx] On Behalf Of I=
an Lowe
Sent: 09 November 2007 11:13
To: ukha_d@xxxxxxx
Subject: [ukha_d] Asus eee PC - wow!

(disclosure - I work for RM, who are selling these in the UK)

I got my hands on a shiny new eee PC (we are selling it as the mini-book
in=
to education) - and I am seriously impressed! it's a mini laptop, in a
roug=
hly A5 form factor. It uses intel's new System on chip version of the
Celer=
on at 900mhz, has 512mb of ram and a 4Gb SSD Hard drive (so no moving
parts=
- it is *silent*)=20

The OS is Xandros, with an app launcher interface built by Asus.
There's roughly 1.9gb free when the OS is counted out. device has 3 USB
2.0=
ports, an MMC/SD Card reader and a built in webcam.

Screen is a very clear easy to read 7.5 inch, resolution is 800x480, so
not=
huge, but very, very useable. It has the grunt to play xvid encoded movies=
without any hassles.

it can take XP (with some tweaking to avoid a swap file killing the flash
h=
ard drive) but to be honest, the linux distro onboard does pretty much
ever=
ything you want/need in this size.

I'm getting one for myself, and they will basically be selling at =A3200
va=
t inc.

I'll post some pictures and so on when I get my own one (this one is a
test=
machine for the dept), but first impression is that this is a pretty damn =
tasty little device :)

I.