Re: Mains activated extension socket

  • Subject: Re: Mains activated extension socket
  • From: "Steve Morgan" <smorgo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2007 07:39:12 -0000

I know I'm asking for trouble, but here's a 'less automated' option:

You can get a 4" switched blastgate (IIRC, Axminster do them) that
fits into the pipework. Use the switch on the blastgate to control a
regular relay that provides power to the saw and the extractor.

So, you open the blast gate which powers up the extractor and the
saw. The saw won't run, because the no-volt release switch will be
off. But as long as the extractor doesn't have a no-volt release
switch, too (and if it did, it would need bypassing for any of the
suggestions) it will have started before you start the saw. When
you've finished, you just shut the blastgate and everything powers
down.

The big advantage of using blastgates is that you can connect
multiple machines to the pipework without losing all the suction.

Steve

--- In ukha_d@xxxxxxx, "Peter and Jane" <pandj.munnoch@...>
wrote:

> Thanks for the offer, Tim. I would be interested to see the
circuit, since you have gone to that trouble, so please send it off
list as offered.
> I am tempted to play with the pir idea first as it will start the
extractor before the saw (the extractor runs up over a few seconds)
and it offers a timer......plus it costs nothing as I have one
spare!!! I could use a relay driven by the pir switch to handle the
load of the extractor motor start up. If it proves a pain by
triggering when I don't want it, your offer is my plan b!