Re: Re: [Slightly OT] Bolier woes

On 5 Nov 2007, at 21:53, JonS wrote:
> That's what I thought, but it turns out it depends on the boiler you
> use.  A system boiler (like I have) apparently pressurises or needs
> the
> heating circuit pressurised.

Not necessarily. A system boiler just has the central heating pump
built in. Most of them can be used in both vented/unpressurised and
sealed/pressurised systems.

> So you have to choose your heat source
> and tank together.  Pressurised tanks have the advantage of not
> needing
> a header tank, but some tanks come with this built into the top of
> the "tank".

Even if you have a sealed heating system, you can still have an
unpressurised cylinder. It will need to be an "indirect" cylinder
(ie
with a primary coil so the boiler water is kept separate from the
water in the tank) though.

> First step is to find a plumber who knows these systems

Probably the trickiest part!

Jim