Re: HA Server Backup Tool/Process recommendations needed (XP Pro only)

This is similar to what I do with our machines at home but using the
Acronis imaging software instead of Ghost.

I also stick the documents and settings folder on a separate
drive/partition and that gets backed up more regularly...

Andy

On 01/11/2007, Tim Hawes <timsyahoo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> David,
>
> I may have been lucky, but did experience what you describe. Not
> because of a hardware failure my supplier changed
("upgraded") to a
> newer PC model.
> I loaded the Ghost image onto the machine and while all the new
> drivers weren't there, I could at least get VGA graphics and download
> the new display, USB, soundcard, network card etc. drivers and install
> them as needed. I then Ghost-ed off a new image of the running machine
> to use as the new "backup".
>
> It can work. Maybe I was lucky in that it would still display
> something and I could then work around it. The first Ghost image was
> created by someone else but isn't there a way of preparing a Windows
> machine for a mobo swap? I think he did that and then took the Ghost
> image so that when it was put on a fresh machine the first thing it
> did was check what hardware it had.
>
> HTH,
>
> Tim.
>
> On 10/31/07, David Gumbrell <david.gumbrell@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > - assuming a disaster recovery backup was in place to rebuild a
clone
> > machine onto new hardware, how would one handle lack of driver
support for a
> > new (different model of) motherboard in the disaster recovery
backup ? I
> > have successfully transplanted hard drives between
motherboards/pcs by
> > pre-loading new drivers, but in this circumstance one might not
know the new
> > motherboard in advance. Are default drivers in XP going to be
good enough in
> > the disaster image ?
> >
> > No doubt I am going to end up with a multi-level solution.
> >
> > Thanks for the enlightening discussion - keep 'em coming ...
> >
> > Cheers
> >
> > David
> >

> > On 10/31/07, Rob Iles <rob.iles@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > >   IMHO, software raid is next to worthless - especially on
system/boot/os
> > > disks.
> > >
> > > I have no experience of motherboard based hardware RAID -
though I'd be
> > > cautious / nervous that if the mobo fails, you'd need to get
an identical
> > > replacement in order to recover data..
> > >

> >  for online backups (internet backups, not the traditional
definition of
> > > online backups) - I've found Carbonite to be rather handy. (
> > > www.carbonite.com ) - - $50 USD/year for unlimited storage!
runs as a
> > > background process, and performs differential backups of
selected
> > > files/folders. Restore time is obviously an issue if you
need to recover a
> > > lot of data - - limited by your internet connection - - but
it's handy to
> > > have some easy off-site backup of important files! (I'm told
they're
> > > encrypted and mirrored to several data-centres). no
affiliation - just a